Pages

Friday, March 18, 2011

DISTRACTING AUTHOR PHOTO

          I never said I was nice or non-judgemental.
          Sometimes when processing new books, or when browsing books for myself at Barnes & Noble or Borders (dear, dying Borders...) I happen across an author photo that is just really distracting and seemingly at odds with the book itself.  This is unfortunate.
          We recently received this mysterious and cool-looking book called The Grimm Legacy, written by Polly Shulman.
Misty, sparkly, swirly, and intriguing
          As I removed the dust jacket so I could cover it in that clear plastic stuff (something I nerdishly REALLY enjoy doing) I noticed the author photo on the back inside flap:
The hat is bigger than the book
          Now, Polly...  The hat.  I just wish we'd talked about it first.  It's a very bold choice, and I feel that it overshadows the mood of the book.  I was interested in maybe reading the book until I saw this photo, and now all I can think about is that hat.  That damn hat. 
          Listen to this awesome description of the book:

          Lonely at her new school, Elizabeth takes a job at the New York Circulating Material Repository... no ordinary library.  It's home to the Grimm Collection, a secret room in the basement.  That's where powerful items straight out of the Brothers Grimm fairy tales are locked away: seven-league boots, a table that produces a feast at the blink of an eye, Snow White's step-mother's sinister mirror that talks in riddles and has a will of its own.

          That sounds awesome, right?!  But then I get trapped by that hat, and the rage it makes me feel.  Why do I have to look at it, Polly?  Why do you make me?
          When I Googled her name to get the author pic so I could use it here I saw OTHER pictures of Polly, without the hat, hair down, and she looks much better that way in my opinion.  Is this her FAVORITE hat?  Does it perhaps tie in with the book in some way unknown to me since I haven't read it yet, because the hat keeps me away? 
          It looks sort of like straw or something.  Did Rumpelstiltskin weave it magically for her?
          Maybe that's it, and she felt obligated to wear it for the author photo so Rumpelstiltskin wouldn't get pissed off.  That is what I choose to believe.

1 comment:

  1. After careful study of the author's book jacket pic, I've come to the conclusion that it's her smile and not necessarily the tweed hat. Though, her smile is great, for a toothpaste ad, I think a more serious look might go better with the book's teaser. Dark and mysterious. Maybe tilt the hat forward just a little, too. And have her sit up straight. She looks like she might tip over. But you're right, the book sounds awesome! I'd read it anyway! Let us know if you like it.

    ReplyDelete